Foreign Periodicals of the Seventeenth to Twentieth Centuries
The collection comprises European-language journals, and other serials dating back to the 17th century. The roots of the modern foreign-language collection of periodicals lay in the first years of the foundation of the Library itself when periodicals were received and held alongside books. In 1863, a "Special Journal Room" was opened in the Library. At the time of its opening, the Journal Room provided access only to current scientific journals.
In 1951-1953, the European-language periodicals were brought together to form a separate administrative unit, and in 1965 it became part of the Library's foreign-language collections.
The Foreign Journals/Serials catalogue, covering European periodicals in the NLR Foreign Journal Room, is availabe on web.
It contains records since January 1995.