The National Library of Russia
The National Library of Russia
Our library
Collections
Catalogues
Services


Home page > Collections > European Books > Rossica

Rossica

The formation of a collection of foreign publications on the subject of Russia was historically connected with the war against Napoleon. As early as 1813 the director Alexei Olenin wrote: "The present time, so abundant in glorious events for Russia, demands of the administration of this library that especial care be paid to collecting the fullest possible amount of information on the current war between Russia and France." The first purchases and other acquisitions made (in some cases through the censorship authorities) in 1813-15 represented the start of the purposeful assembly of a collection of Rossica. That was the name given to foreign works about Russia and subsequently to the separate department to which they were allocated in 1850 on the initiative of then-director Modest Korff (prior to this such works had been kept in the History section).

Rossica was not limited to the interests of a particular library. The formation of the collection of foreign works about Russia was a colossal research project of national significance. The project engaged many participants, including renowned historians (S.Soloviev, N.Ustrialov and others), booksellers and antiquarians in St. Petersburg and European capitals, foreign scientists, great collectors and bibliophiles. The Imperial Public Library worked on the project in close collaboration with foreign partner institutions: universities and libraries. The Library's staff were sent, on several occasions, to European countries with an official commission to seek out documents relating to the history and culture of Russia. The director Modest Korff undertook trips to Europe three times — in 1851, 1856, and 1861.

Rossica, together with the Russian Department, was in a privileged position when building its stocks, since in contrast to the others they had no firmly-established funding limits. Rossica's curators selected material about Russia published elsewhere. All such material was recorded in card catalogues immediately after it was acquired by exchange, purchase, or gift.

The collection began to grow rapidly. In 1852 it was enriched by items from the private royal library, founded by Catherine II, which was also known as the Hermitage collection. General Staff Library's vast holdings was transferred to the Imperial Public Library some years later. In 1853 the great collection of rare printed publications relating to Russia was purchased from the bookseller Briff. The senate interpreter Sennitskiy presented over one thousand rare books to the nation in 1860. At the same time, Rossica was supplemented by the rich pamphlet collection on Russian subjects, dating the early nineteenth-century, which was assembled by the Chief Librarian of the Royal Library of Sweden, Klemming.

These passed into the foundation collection of the Imperial Public Library. By the the beginning of 1854, Rossica held more than 10 thousand items. The holdings were increased threefold in the next ten years. The two-volume printed alphabetical catalogue of the department published in 1863 included over 28,000 titles of books and periodicals, and contained 1624 pages. Soon after the appearance of the catalogue, the First International Bibliographical Congress described it as: "the invaluable and unique work". Forty years later, already with 230,000 items, Rossica formed one of the two largest foreign-language collections within the Public Library (the other was the Theological Department).

In a certain sense that time (1913) was the highpoint in the history of Rossica. The years of revolution and Civil War did much irreparable damage to the established procedures for acquiring foreign books. Probably the only major influx of new works into Rossica in that period came through the purchase of the library of the noted historian and bibliographer Voensky in 1919 which included a large, carefully selected set of foreign books on military history, mainly the Napoleonic Wars.

The elimination of departments and the formation of a single foreign-language section which resulted from the internal reform of 1930 — a reform prompted to an exceptional degree by ideology and a spirit of acquiescence to censorship demands — effectively meant an end to new acquisitions in the Rossica category. It was reduced to being a self-contained historical collection without, however, possessing the most important features of such collections — beingkept together, having coordinated call numbers and so on. Ideas for the further development of the collection concentrated for the most part on the bibliographical and bibliological assimilation of its colossal store of information. Notably in this context, back in the 1960s A.L.Goldberg and I.G.Yakovleva embarked on a programme still continuing today to publish material on the history of Russia from the library' s foreign-language catalogues.

Back to top
 
© The National Library of Russia, 2000-2018